It’s no surprise that obesity is on the rise. Most statistics suggest that almost one in every three Americans is suffering from obesity. This obviously not only makes losing weight a necessity, but also calls for a change in diet.
While a ketogenic diet isn’t exactly attributed towards weight loss, there are many ways it can be harnessed to bring about weight loss, especially when combined with yoga. Read on to find out the basics of losing weight with a ketogenic diet and yoga!
The Ketogenic Diet
Having a ketogenic diet puts your body in a state of ketosis. Ketosis is a phenomenon where your body utilizes fat as a source of energy. Sounds good? It gets better. The ketogenic diet also has other characteristics that will help you lose weight in the long run and improve your health.
- Craving: It helps you get rid of cravings. That means you won’t feel the need to raid the fridge for junk food anymore.
- Energy: The energy generated from burning fat will leave you feeling good physically, allowing you to exercise without feeling lethargic, thus boosting weight loss further.
- Feeling full: Lastly, a ketogenic diet leaves you feeling satiated, thus controlling your food intake which is also a significant step towards losing weight.
Just like the ketogenic diet, yoga isn’t synonymous with weight loss, but there are many benefits of yoga that directly or indirectly facilitate weight loss.
- Feeling peaceful: Stress is also a major factor when it comes to eating and gaining weight. Yoga puts your mind at peace, hence relieving stress and reducing the possibility of stress eating.
- Detoxification: One of the less-known benefits of yoga is that the various poses bring about detoxification in your body. Reducing that junk from your body helps you in eating clean.
- Activity: Though it isn’t as intense as weight training or cardio, yoga does have a small and direct impact on weight loss, especially if you’re doing the poses in a fast-paced manner.
How They Go Together
You’ve seen the benefits of the diet and yoga. But how do these two tie together and work towards a slimmer waistline? Well, the traditional way anyone would lose weight is doing cardio exercises or weightlifting. However, neither of those are a very practical approach when you’re on a keto diet.
The reason being that a keto diet will deplete your body’s reserves of glycogen. While that’s a good thing, it’s also a necessary ingredient towards lifting weights. This doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to lift weights, but you won’t be able to do as much as you used to, and it just isn’t a very good idea to combine keto diet with weightlifting unless there’s supplements brought into the picture.
Yoga, on the other hand, will blend in quite nicely with a keto diet, and it goes without saying that this ancient Indian practice has its own benefits ranging from better mental health to increased flexibility. All in all, it’s a good idea to combine your keto diet with a regular yoga regimen to ensure your physical and mental health while losing weight!